Ernst & Young: New Business Development in collaboration with Hackmasters
Type of work: Team lead, facilitation, design and strategy
Challenge: Working on behalf of Ernst & Young, I was team lead within the development of one of the ten future-tech products made in five days. The process involved 1500 EY staff and customised workshops. Isolating ten key areas where future technology could benefit Ernst & Young's clients. It culminated in a five-day hack, through which our team developed a mix of software and hardware related products to be presented at EY's UK Headquarters.
Ambition: A week before the five-day hack week the team received a 30-page slide deck with our key problem ‘how can businesses use their workforce to identify risks in real-time?’.
After doing desk research into the key problems of real-time risks, we’ve come to understand that there are two main factors in disaster management:
1. Human Error
2. Machine Failure
This created enough insight to understand that we had to create a service that would combine the two and give a simple overview to a risk manager to know when to take action.
Outcome: Crowdsourced Risk Management
Presenting LionBlue. A cross-platform solution which provides an easy interface to escalate issues identified in (for example) a power plant.
Signals from workers and smart, connected machinery are presented to the right employees based on skills, competencies and availability. Selected employee groups then evaluate the issue impact and prioritize an action. The evaluated issue can be converted to the work order or escalated further for emergency resolution.
Over time LionBlue system learns how issues are handled and will start suggesting solutions using machine learning.
The platform also encourages process transparency by keeping all related parties informed, from issue creation to resolution.
Possible future developments:
- “Focus group” members will be assigned to the issue based on the skills matrix.
- A manager dashboard/heat map indicating the most common issues reported, as well as their nature, the status or resolution and the response time.
- Manager dashboard will be integrated with existing project management tools in order to provide financial estimates, as well as logistics.
- Based on historical data collected, when faced with similar issues, the system will skip the focus-group analysis and suggest the employee who reported the issue what the resolution is & automatically takes the required measures (via existing automatised systems).
- In cases of red alert that require immediate action from all the employees, they will be notified via the smartwatch